We all want perfect skin.
But sometimes we’ll get a skin condition such as acne or a nasty burn. Forget the homemade wrinkle cream!
All we want then is for it to return to the way it was, to be normal again. This is where the best essential oils can help restore your skin to its natural loveliness.
Essential oils have been used as healing oils for many, many years and they’re one of the best kept secrets in skincare.
Essential oils are the concentrated liquid that is extracted from herbs, flowers, fruits, seeds and a whole bunch of other plants and plant by-products. Each essential oil is unique, with its own aroma and use.
You’ve probably heard about how the best essential oils can have powerful aromatherapeutic properties, but did you know that they are powerful, active agents as well?
Essential oils can be used for many different types of skin conditions, and today I’ll share all the secrets of the best essential oils for healing compromised skin.
Although some essential oils can be quite pricey, the real answer is not really. When thinking about the price of an essential oil, it really depends on the quantity in which you use it.
Essential oils are highly concentrated, and require only a few drops in skin care products.
This means a single bottle could effectively last you some time. The cost will spread out over uses, and they’re just too useful not to give a try.
So let’s get onto the good stuff, how these beautiful healing oils can fix you up in a very natural way.
A Quick Note On The Oils I Reference Below
In the guide below I mention so many oils it would be overkill to detail and link all of them. So to make life easier for you (and me!) I created my essential oil use guide which has more info on every oil along with direct links should you want to purchase any, open that page in another window.
Best Essential Oils For Dry Skin
I don’t care who you are, at some point you’ve had some kind of dryness or chapped skin. It’s one of those annoying ailments that many of us just seem to accept, but you really don’t have to!
As well as looking really unsightly, dry and chapped skin can actually become quite painful as it cracks and wears away so easily. The uncomfortable tightness of very dry skin is also something I dread.
Most of us go through this when the temperature starts to plummet during the colder months of the year. Chilly winds and a drop in humidity carry away the natural moisture in our skin, and the sensitive areas of the face (particularly the lips) are the first to go.
But you might have naturally dry skin anyway, and these essential oils will help you nourish and rehydrate even the flakiest of elbows. These really are the best essential oils for dry skin.
- Rose — Rehydrates and soothes skin, the best essential oil for dry and mature skin.
- Chamomile — Rehydrates dry skin, excellent combination for Rose.
- Sandalwood — Absolutely superb healing oil for dry and chapped skin.
- Myrrh — Rehydrates, as well as stimulating the healing of chapped skin.
- Sweet Orange — Soothes the itch and pain of chapped or dry skin.
- Acne, Eczema and Rosacea
- Best Essential Oils For Acne
- Acne is the curse of the young (we can’t have it all now, can we?). But did you know that lots of adults suffer with acne well into their late 20s, and even beyond in some cases? We’ve all had a pimple, but if you’ve never suffered from acne try multiplying the pain and embarrassment of a nasty zit by 10, 30 or even 100.
There is no real ‘cure all’ for acne, and the cause of it is hotly debated. Oily skin, hormones, clogged pours, excessive production of sebum, hygiene and even diet have been tipped as potential triggers for acne.
What we do know however, is there are many essential oils that can be helpful in the battle against this nasty skin condition. Experiment with some of the best essential oils for acne I’ve listed below and see what works for you.
- Tea Tree – Amazing antiseptic, the best essential oil for acne.
- Clary Sage – Balances out the production of sebum, a suspected cause of acne.
- Eucalyptus – Clears out conjested skin, reduces swelling and will help heal burst pustules.
- Frankincense – Soothes sore skin, as well as working to balance out oily skin.
- Cedarwood – Relieves uncomfortable itchiness (to stop your scratching and scarring yourself) as well as balancing out oily skin.
- Geranium – Balances out the production of sebum, as well as reducing the bruising associated with cystic acne.
- Grapefruit – Removes toxins from the skin that could be contributing to the formation for new pustules and pimples. Also decongests clogged pores.
- Juniper Berry – Anti-inflammatory, as well as unclogging congested pores.
- Lemon – Works to clean out pours then close them after. Also kills microorganisms that could be a major contributor to acne.
- Petitgrain – Decongests blocked pores, as well as working to sooth and heal any open pimples.
- Rose – Reduces redness and inflammation.
- Ylang-Ylang – Balances the secretion of sebum.
- Healing oils For Eczema
- Dermatitis, more commonly known as Eczema, can be a very debilitating skin disorder. Dry and itchy patches of skin are generally mild symptoms, as the worst include blisters and thickening of the skin.
If you’re a sufferer of this condition, you’ll know how painful and frustrating it can be, and I really feel for you. My little niece suffers from this and it can really upset her.
Like acne, the cause of eczema is not yet fully understood. It’s likely to be a number of possible triggers, but there have been interesting studies suggesting that the excessive cleanliness of our home could be a contributor. We no longer expose ourselves the squalor of the pre-industrial era on a regular basis, and our bodies just don’t know how to cope when it does come into contact with something unsanitary.
I’m not suggesting we start sprinkling dirt throughout our home twice a week.
But what I will say is that essential oils can help manage these debilitating symptoms.